When reaching the dense atmospheric layers the aerodynamic shape of the Clipper starts to take effect.
The illustrations of this chapter show the different features of its design during the gliding flight:
- The attack angle influences the gliding range.
- To create lift without wings the body is shaped like a wing.
- Two flaps at the back provide limited control of the craft during wingless flight.
- The folded wings minimize the stress during supersonic flight.
- After unfolding its wings the Clipper can be steered like an airplane.